Monday 22 October 2012

Favourite Method?

At the end of Luker's chapter, she asks the reader to pick the "best" method for them. I have a problem with this as to me, they ALL sound like good methods and I simply can't compare them all because they are so different! I can say that interviews and focus groups are most applicable to my research proposal, but choosing between the two may be an impossible task.
I found it useful to frame interviews in the way that Luker discusses (that it is to discover patterns among many people, not just the thoughts inside one person's head), as we discussed the fallibility of interviews in class to the point where they seemed almost useless as a data-gathering device. Luker points out that even how one dresses can alter the results of an interview, making interviews seem problematic as a source of gathering data. I now look at interviews in a different way after reading this chapter, as they are instead a way to examine the mental maps inside the heads of lots of people. The patterns in the answers are what's important, not necessarily the answers themselves. The same can be said for focus groups, as watching people interact with each other can produce a lot of data. This type of data may not be accessible in an interviewer/interviewee setting.
I am finding the readings more relatable and applicable after handing in my proposal, and am beginning to harvest some knowledge that will be very useful in expanding my two page proposal into the final product due at the end of the semester! Hopefully others feel the same!

1 comment:

  1. Good to hear, Jessica!
    And I feel the same way about methods - can't pick a favourite, as it totally depends on the research question I want to ask!

    ReplyDelete