Monday 1 October 2012

Running through the Lunt and Livingstone reading was the familiar theme of quantitative vs. qualitative research methods. The article is critical of the belief that focus groups, as a qualitative research method, are useful only as a supplement to quantitative data, and argues that with the right justification and with a mindful/critical approach, focus groups are a useful research method in themselves. As someone who is more inclined to pursue qualitative research methods for my own work, I spent time once again considering the advantages or values of qualitative data.

Lunt and Livingstone argue that the construction of a focus group can make a good theoretical framework in itself - that is, they suggest using the artificiality of a focus group scenario as a lens through which to understand the information you are gathering. I agree that it is important to be aware of, and critical of, the context in which focus group conversation takes place (which is kind of a simulation of a "real" scenario for conversation) - but whether researchers acknowledge the artificiality of them or not, I still think that artificiality is a bit weird. I would much prefer to observe by participating, or by in some way allowing people doing things that are natural to them. I realize there are issues that arise with that kind of method, too - I just feel like they are issues I am better prepared to work with or around.

1 comment:

  1. Hello- I happened to stumble upon your blog in my search for article reading tips. "Harvarding" has been a HUGE help and does its tricks. As a grad student in her 5th week of school- the number of readings get very overwhelming.

    In regards to your research methods- have you considered an ethnography?I could give you a few good articles to read in order to find reference. Happy researching!

    ReplyDelete