Sunday 23 September 2012

Beware of “faux” research questions

While reading Luker, I was intrigued by her suggestion that we can pinpoint whether we have a real research question or are still in the “realm of research interest.” She states that if we’re telling someone about our research work, does the discussion include “something being explained and perhaps something explaining it?” (Luker, 53) According to Luker, the crucial part is whether what you’re saying ends with a question mark. Admittedly I was very excited to read this basic and applicable tip – until I continued reading. It appears that “faux” research questions do exist. (Luker, 53) Confusing much? Well, I learned that these types of questions can sneak their way in without us even noticing. Unless you remember her advice and that is, a real research question will have a set of possible answers.

As someone who needs to know all (or at least most of) the steps and guidelines before embarking on a new idea or project, I feel like I’m gradually making progress in my understanding about research questions, question formation, methodologies, etc. Interestingly though, according to Knight, there really is no set of rules for doing social research.  (Knight, 46) This statement could be enough to discourage potential new researchers (i.e. me), yet admittedly it is clear that researchers should decide what research methods “fit for the purpose of making sense of the topic to be studied.” (Knight, 46) Also just as an aside, I sincerely hope none of us end up in the same situation as Luker’s former student who spent many, many months deciphering the world of research before she finally crafted a good research question!

No comments:

Post a Comment