Saturday 29 September 2012

“You must dress to impress” and other insights

In chapter 3, Knight outlines the various face-to-face research methods researchers have at their fingertips. As a self-described “newbie,” I appreciated his descriptions of each type, especially the enclosed examples of real studies and applications of these methods. Though he does admit the caveat that “no book can give exhaustive advice on any one technique” (p. 50) I still found this chapter to be invaluable. Now that I have a better understanding of what my research question is, I found that I read this chapter making mental (and written) notes of which method would be suitable for me.

An interesting nugget of information that I learned was that “as far as interviewing goes, the researcher is the instrument.” (p. 54) It’s the idea that non-verbal cues, including how a researcher dresses, moves, speaks, could have ramifications on the interview. Indeed, this notion reminds me of my own experience going for job interviews. For example, I have to be conscious in selecting appropriate interview attire before the interview, i.e. a smart-looking blazer with a crisp white blouse and perfectly ironed dress pants. Then, upon meeting my potential boss and during the interview, I realize s/he is assessing not only how I am dressed, but also what I am saying and not saying. And so I am cognizant about taking care to keep good posture, using a pleasant tone of voice, and above all, maintaining eye contact and smiling. In comparing my previous experiences as a job interviewee, I can understand and apply that knowledge to the possibility of doing face-to-face interviews for my research question. I think I would prefer doing this type to doing phone interviews. Why? Well, I agree with Knight in that you can speak much more freely (e.g. not as many time constraints), do not necessarily have to stick to a script of questions (could improvise if needed) and there is no fear that the participant is pre-occupied with their own household tasks or just plain distracted by some TV show.

Reading the Lunt & Livingstone article, I found it interesting to learn more about focus groups and their resurgence in popularity, though I do not think this type would fall among the research methods that I might select. However, it is refreshing to know why focus groups could be useful for researchers. Admittedly, having never participated in a focus group I would feel unprepared if I were to do this type of research without having first observed another researcher lead one. Does anyone else feel this way? I feel this learning would be beneficial for me (and anyone else) who may feel apprehensive and overwhelmed by the possibilities of dealing with those “dominant individuals that can obliterate alternative points of view” as Knight describes (p. 70). Even with these perceived “obstacles” I do respect that using focus groups could be worthwhile for some of my classmates’ research initiatives and if any of you are thinking of using them, I’m eager to hear/learn more about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment