Sunday 16 September 2012

Writing is a Start!


As I am reading the chapter from Knight (2002), Starting with Writing, I become overwhelmed with how applicable his advise for starting a research is to some of my work in the past. Although in the recent years I have not written a single research work, I have been writing creatively for theatre and art collectives. I often indulge in writing as soon as a single spark of an idea appears (“a glimmer of inquiry”, as Knight puts it) and develop it into something completely different in the process. My works often come out awkward and I rarely share my 'private writing' with peers and never save the original versions after they’ve been edited! I am like the brilliant Portuguese who "navigated with bad albeit beautiful maps" (Luker, 2010)! Right?..

I am excited to start creating a work of research making sure to keep record of all the changing directions and perspectives. I am anxious to practice the principles of research paper writing, such as consulting with peers, connecting my thoughts to other literature, and making sure my opinion is worth voicing.  Different from my past practice, these essential principles of developing a work will do much good for my writing style. Awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment