Sunday 16 September 2012

re: Undergrad Summarized


I am obviously not good at this whole blogging thing - my post on how the Knight reading summarized my undergrad is gone because I was trying to fix the weird white highlighting thing that was happening.

Here is what I had written in the word doc before I figured out how start a new post:

"I really enjoyed Knight's introductory chapter. It was informative and the language was accessible. As I was reading, there was a lot of head nodding and "mhmmm's" going on. Really, I couldn't help but think that this would have been pretty useful in my 1st year undergrad, where I studied Art History and English. Basically, this chapter summarized much of what I had learnt during my undergrad, and is much less traumatizing than the red pen that taught me these lessons."

Knight tells us that writing is critical to the thinking process. I am sure that these research journals are moving to digital space, where we can keep our writings on our computer desktop rather than our kitchentop (where I tend to do all my writing). But there is something to be said for the archaic pen and paper...for one it does not get lost in some unknown and irretrievable space. For another, it seems more informal, which may be more conducive for the thought process. We can also see our "mistakes" on paper, whereas when we type we can make it as if it never happened. There have been many times where I've backspaced and wished I hadn't.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Chantel,
    Don't worry, I also used Word before publishing to our blog. I also enjoy when I have the opportunity to write out my ideas on paper. Especially in this digital world, where computers do everything for us. It's definitely a refreshing change to have the tangible - a pencil and paper, rather then a keyboard. And personally I like creating mind maps, I find it especially helpful in creating new ideas because I'm not only limited to the written word - I can use drawings as well.

    ReplyDelete