Sunday 23 September 2012

Research is not what you thought it was. Research is What You Think.

This week began gloriously. I realized that I had a research topic! I even discovered I had major research questions! I realized I knew where to locate the gaps in the current discourse on my topic!  I didn't just have an "interest"! I had the elements of a research work! I knew what I would say to the SSHRC Committee!!! A day later I realized that I can't do this topic at this time because my topic is deeply sociological and has little to do with the Library Sciences... Oh no. I felt completely lost. But today I realize that I got disappointed too early. Maybe I can turn my topic around. Perhaps, someone can help me?

I would like to write about why there is such a discrepancy between North America and Europe in cultural representation and understanding  of one specific profession in theatre, the profession that takes grandiose amount of talent, self-awareness, and skill, the ancient profession of theatrical clown. In Europe, clown is a deeply respected occupation. As an example, much funding goes to such enterprise as therapeutic clowning - using humor to assist in recovery and coping with illness. Dr. Clown exists in North America, but in such insignificant proportions, that, if the topic ever comes up, most people need definition and detailed explanation.

What does everybody think, can I possibly look at representation of clown in North America and examine the arrangement of the information on the subject? I would propose that the way the information is positioned in North American media is responsible for our views and approaches to clown. Or is there a better way to position my research topic in the area of the information sciences?

The readings this week made me think about this over and over.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Elison,

    Your topic sounds fantastic! And I am a little jealous that you have one already (Luker's Appendix 1 is pointing directly at this guy).

    I do have one thought on how you may position your topic within the information sciences...How about looking at how clowns are categorized within the Dewy Decimal System and/or the Library of Congress Subject Headings? In chapter 5, Luker brings up how the categorization system can help you find relevant literature. I don't know how clowns would be categorized within the system, but if North American literature on the subject is on one side of the library and European literature is on the other side maybe you can look into that? Or if all literature on clowns are clumped together, or dispersed throughout the catalogue? Or possibly looking at the "full records" of these books and seeing what subject headings come up? And then, maybe, you can discuss the subjective and objective reasoning for the categorization schemes you find...

    I don't know if this is either feasible or appealing, but it was just the first thought that came to mind when you asked for ideas. Regardless, this sounds pretty interesting. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chantel! Thank you SO much for your insightful comment! I felt very encouraged as I read this. I have a feeling I will be able to write about this in our program! The angle of positioning my topic that you are suggesting sounds interesting and I will definitely look into the Dewy Decimal and the LOC! I'm mostly glad that somebody else thinks this can be done!

    Do you have a vague idea (a list of ideas) on what you might do your research about? I had a list of five and I kept thinking them over as I've been getting more and more information in all my classes until I stopped on this one. I find Luker very helpful to think about what and how to write.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad that you found my comment useful, Elison. Like I said, it was the first thing that came to mind after reading your post. Your topic really does sound interesting, and if I came across it as an article I would definitely stop and read it. But my question is, does our research question have to be related to information science, or it just your preference?

    I do have vague (in the fullest sense of the word) ideas about what I want to do my research on. I think I just need to sit down and hash it all it. Which will be my plan for the coming week. I am gonna go through the exercises that Luker recommends and see what I can come up with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chantel! I just posted a few tips about writing SSHRC that I learned from a specific SSHRC writing workshop. Maybe you will find them useful.

      To actually apply for the SSHRC funding I do need my research to have something to do with our program. I'm still having a difficult time making library classification systems central to my approach in the clown research... Hopefully we all will get there!

      Delete