Monday 19 November 2012

Paradoxes of infrastructure


I've encountered Susan Star's work a number of times so far in this program, yet I still found it refreshing to revisit The Ethnography of Infrastructure again after having first seen it last year.

This time about, while looking at the "paradoxes of infrastructure" section I quite appreciated the idea of how apparently small barriers can become huge obstacles for people. I reflected on a recent experience where when starting the peer-review assignment for this class I decided to review some of the lecture slides. The Inforum computer I was at did not have flash enabled in Firefox (which is what I use by default), so I couldn't immediately view them. Rather than trying to find a work around I just reverted to my pen and paper class notes, and saved reviewing the slides for later that evening when I would have my own laptop that I knew could render the slides. The fix might have been simple, but stopping to figure it out would have been distracting from the task that I really had wanted to accomplish, which was thinking about the assignment.

No comments:

Post a Comment