Sunday 4 November 2012

Peer Review Example

I should have thought of this earlier, but perhaps late is better than never. I was also struggling with the peer review project this week, mainly in terms of structure, but also with regards to how to word my comments. I didn't want them to sound too harsh, but I wanted to help the author publish a better paper. It's a very fine line, sometimes, between constructive criticism and just plain criticism, especially in a paper where I feel a lot needs to be reworked... So I googled "peer review example", and found this:

http://www2.etown.edu/docs/psychology/samplepeerreview.pdf

Though this one is in point form, whereas we're writing in paragraphs, and this one has to do with surveys, whereas mine is a focus group research, I nevertheless found some ideas useful - I forgot to look for information regarding consent forms, and this example reminded me of it. I also found it useful with regards to the tone - the reviewer is very clear as to what should be looked at, but some of the comments are more like questions. It would seem to me that this will soften the blow for the author of the article, while at the same time clearly pointing out a problem to consider.


No comments:

Post a Comment